ANNOUNCEMENT OF VACANCY
Coordinator of Legal Affairs (Staff Attorney)
The Professional Staff Congress, AFT Local 2334, is a progressive, activist union representing 30,000 faculty and staff at the City University of New York and the CUNY Research Foundation. The PSC is seeking to hire a staff attorney to handle disciplinary proceedings, arbitrations, and proceedings before New York State Public Employment Relations Board and the National Labor Relations Board, as well as to assist in legal issues related to internal union governance.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Represents instructional staff charged with disciplinary infractions
- Represents union at arbitration of contract grievances
- Supports the Director of Legal Affairs in preparing advice to the Officers, Executive Director and union staff on issues related to contract enforcement, collective bargaining, internal governance and the legal affairs of the union as an organization.
- Assists the Director of Legal Affairs in responding to inquiries from union chapter officers, grievance counselors and members regarding contract enforcement and disciplinary issues
- Assists the Director of Legal Affairs on special projects
- Admitted or pending admission to the New York State Bar
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive trade unionism and social justice
- Uncommonly strong written and spoken language skills; excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent judgment in handling confidential material and to work with and relate to others
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills
- Strong oral advocacy and communication skills.
- 1-3 years’ experience in labor law
Salary: $82,000 + depending on experience
Comprehensive benefit package
The PSC provides a collaborative, supportive environment working with others to drive progressive change in the context of the nation’s largest urban public university. This is a unionized position.
PSC supports justice and equity for all oppressed and excluded peoples. We particularly encourage women and people of color to apply for this position.
Application deadline June 2, 2023 at 5PM
Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to:
Denise Poché Jetter, Director of Human Resources and Operations, [email protected]
Click HERE for a PDF of this job announcement.
Published: May 8, 2023