- The University agrees to the principle of exclusive check-off of annual PSC dues on behalf of each represented employee who elects to join the union in amounts to be determined by the PSC in accordance with the forms and procedures approved by the appropriate offices of the City of New York or State of New York. Authorizations to withhold dues will be reported to the appropriate office of the University. The employer (or its designee) shall commence deduction of dues as soon as practicable, but in no case more than 30 days after receiving the report from PSC of a signed dues authorization card and shall ensure the prompt remission of dues to the PSC.
- The right to membership dues shall remain in effect until: 1) the employee is no longer employed at CUNY in a position represented by the PSC; or 2) the PSC notifies the University that the employee has revoked his/her dues check-off authorization.
i. When an employee is re-employed at the same college within a period of one year in a title represented by the PSC, the employee shall continue to be covered by the same dues check-off authorization card and not be required to sign another authorization card. The University will issue appropriate administrative instructions to all colleges to ensure compliance with this provision.
ii. When an employee in a PSC title is promoted or reclassified to another title represented by the PSC, the dues check-off shall continue uninterrupted. The University will issue appropriate administrative instructions to all colleges regarding this provision.
iii. When an employee in a PSC title returns from an approved leave of absence, with or without pay, or from a layoff, or is reappointed or temporarily appointed in the same or another title represented by the PSC, any dues check-off authorization in effect prior to the approved leave of absence or layoff shall be reactivated.
4.2 New Member Information and Orientations:
- Within thirty (30) days of an employee’s first being employed, re-employed, newly promoted or transferred to the PSC bargaining unit, the University shall notify the PSC of the employee’s name, job title, employing college or unit, CUNY ID number, last four digits of the Social Security number, department, work location, work email address, home address, and work phone number, to the extent that one has been designated in CUNYfirst.
- Where orientation kits are supplied to new employees, the PSC shall be permitted to have union literature included, provided that such literature is acceptable to the University Office of Human Resources Management. Online orientation materials shall include an electronic link to the PSC website, and PSC membership cards provided to the colleges by the PSC shall be available in the college Human Resources offices.
- Within sixty (60) days of an employee’s first being employed, re-employed, newly promoted or transferred to the PSC bargaining unit, the University shall allow a duly appointed representative of the PSC to meet with such employee for a reasonable amount of time during his or her work time, without charge to leave credits, provided that such meeting is scheduled in consultation with a designated representative of the college or constituent unit of the University to which the employee is appointed. This requirement may be satisfied for employees attending a formal employee orientation program by allowing PSC representative/s a reasonable amount of time during the program to provide membership information to employees.
3 The provisions set forth in Article 4.1 herein concerning check-off are effective June 28, 2018. For the period December 1, 2017 through June 27, 2018, the provisions of Article 4 of the 2010-2017 collective bargaining agreement continued in effect.