Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct the search for a Director of Human Resources and Operations at the Professional Staff Congress (www.psc-cuny.org) (PSC). This is a full-time professional, confidential, position reporting to the Executive Director and Associate Executive Director of the PSC. It is a senior management role that requires big picture strategic and critical thinking. Based in New York City, NY.
The Professional Staff Congress, AFT Local 2334, is a progressive, activist union, representing 30,000 faculty and staff at The City University of New York (CUNY). PSC is seeking to hire an experienced individual who can work independently and ensure organizational effectiveness and safety for an office of dedicated and diverse union workers and elected leaders.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Manage Human Resources Operations
- Develop and lead a strategy to ensure a positive work environment and healthy organizational culture
- Build and sustain strong labor-management relations
- Facilitate logistics of hiring permanent and temporary staff; maintain updated job descriptions; coordinate interview processes with leadership and staff
- Maintain office policies and procedures manual
- Provide orientation and training on office policies and procedures to new employees
- Maintain personnel records and respond to outside inquiries concerning personnel
- Track and coordinate employee health insurance and leave benefits and conduct open enrollment
- Assign and monitor clerical and administrative responsibilities among office support staff
- Consult with Executive Director and Associate Executive Director on and execute personnel matters
Manage the following office operations and systems:
- Manage computer network, supervise IT staff
- Work with building management concerning real estate, maintenance, security, property insurance, cleaning, and related services
- Manage bids and recommendations for office equipment, machinery, furniture, supplies and maintenance contracts; assist in negotiating leases and contracts; maintain all related files and records
Supervise office manager in coordinating the following office operations and systems:
- Maintain weekly calendar of union activities and schedule rooms and ensure ordering of refreshments and assignment of staff; coordinate as needed with staff, officers, and union committees
- Manage office systems for mail & telephone
- Supervise printing and mailing of PSC materials; ensure quality control
- Plan and coordinate logistics for regular union meetings and special events, including staffing, support materials, refreshments and distribution of agendas/programs and minutes; maintain files of official minutes of regular union meetings
- Supervise and administer, in coordination with PSC Secretary, plans and travel arrangements for PSC participants in annual conventions of PSC national and statewide affiliates
- Support Election Committee and facilitate elections procedures
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS:
- 4-year college degree
- 7 years’ experience as an office manager, at least 5 years of which must include supervising unionized support staff, including responsibility for hiring processes; labor union and higher education experience preferred
- Experience administering office computer, mail, and telephone systems
- Experience managing the logistics and scheduling of organizational meetings
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and accommodate competing demands
- Knowledge of human resources management practices and procedures
- Experience and proficiency in Human Resources Management Software and HRIS
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability in systems management
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgement and strategic level critical thinking skills
- General knowledge of standard office computer networks, both hardware and software
- Ability to write and interpret contracts
- Possesses keen written and speaking communication skills across various disciplines and levels of staff
- Experienced and accomplished in high priority work environments
- Skilled in managing competing priorities and delegating work appropriately
- At least 3 full-time employment references in related full-time work
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
$100,000+, depending on experience, plus a comprehensive benefit package.
HOW TO APPLY:
Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to lead this search. For immediate consideration please send your résumé/curriculum vitae and cover letter in Word.docx or PDF format to: www.scionstaffing.com/job/8944 Thank you.
Application deadline: July 21, 2022
ABOUT OUR FIRM:
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and educational institutions across the country. Cultivated in the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches.
Executive Search is listed in Forbes 2021 America’s Best Professional Recruiting Firms list and Forbes 2021 America’s Best Executive Recruiting Firms list. More information about Scion Executive Search can be found online at www.scionexecutivesearch.com.
PSC is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.
Scion Executive Search is an Equal Opportunity Employers and does not discriminate based on race, age, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, or belief. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.