PSC/CUNY – MEDGAR EVERS COLLEGE CHAPTER
MEETING HELD WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2014, 11.30AM IN ROOM B2008, NORMAN & MIRIAM JOHNSON LECTURE HALL
The meeting was called to order by Dr. Clinton Crawford, Chair, PSC/ MEC who welcomed all in attendance.
The minutes were approved as read with 1 abstention.
Governance Committee – Dr. Ezuma, Chair
High points of the new Governance Plan were as follows:
- Faculty will have increased responsibility in college governance.
- Introduction of Academic Review to address negative votes from College-wide P&B
- Chairs cannot serve more than two consecutive terms and they can be voted out by their departments
- School Deans will be elected not appointed and should have a coordinating function.
- College-wide P&B will consist of only tenured professors.
- Academic Review will consist of only senior faculty – full and associate professors.
Faculty Orientation – Dr. Crawford made a call for volunteers, based on expertise, among senior faculty members, CLTs and HEOs to make presentations at the orientation. The response:
Moses Phillips – Lecturer
Tanya Siduik and Nelson Carrillo – HEOs
Iola Thompson – Associate Professor
Wilbert Hope – Full Professor
Time: Friday, March 21, 2014, 11am – 2pm
Dr. Crawford and Thompson would convene the meeting of presenters and Prof. Moorning would coordinate the planning.
CUNY First – Dr. Crawford implored us all concerning the need to check CUNY First re accuracy in our personal information and to activate our ID for logging on.
Contract and Bylaws – Howard Prince, Grievance Counselor from PSC Central, temporary Grievance Counselor at Medgar Evers College, outlined the grievance process exhorting all to become acquainted with the Contract. Note: (1) PSC Central Office number: 212-354-1252,
(2) PSC website: www.psc-cuny.org
Suggested Needs for next Labor Management meeting:
The meeting focused on the agenda for the Labor Management Meeting to be scheduled with the Administration as follows:
- Appointments being made before positions are advertised
- Administration should not chair sub-committees of the College Council (e.g. Technology)
- Use of classrooms as offices
- Need for President Crew to explain his vision
- Transferring of faculty from one department to another without the input of the P&B
- Signs in elevators and campus map needed
Motion: – Dr. Nancy Oley made a motion, seconded by Miles McAffee, asking the PSC to support the town hall discussion regarding ROTC on MEC campus.
Announcement: Dr. Crawford informed the PSC regarding the discussion on Pathways being facilitated by Education department of the City Council on Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014, 10.00 am – 2.30 pm and expressed the need for us to be in attendance or make a presentation.
Adjournment – The meeting stood adjourned.
Submitted by V. Green, Secretary