Professional Staff Congress
PSC GENERAL OFFICERS
Term of Office: 3 Years
President, First Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, 5 University-wide Officers.
Vice President, Senior Colleges, and 3 Senior College Officers.
Vice President, Community Colleges, and 3 Community College Officers.
Vice President, Cross Campus Chapters, and 3 Cross Campus Officers.
Vice President, Part-Time Instructional Staff, and 3 Part-Time
Instructional Staff Officers.
Two Retiree Executive Council Officers.
NYSUT AND AFT CONVENTION DELEGATES
Term of Office: 3 years
100 Convention Delegate Positions
AAUP ANNUAL MEETING DELEGATES
(Only PSC members designated as members of the AAUP are eligible to run and vote.)
Term of Office: 3 years
4 Delegate Positions
1. Deadline for filling a Candidate Declaration form will be January 11, 2021. The form is available online at https://www.psc-cuny.org/psc-declaration-candidacy and tinyurl.com/PSC-declaration-of-candidacy and should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Pre-printed nominating petitions will be available upon request on February 8, 2021, by emailing email@example.com.
3. Properly completed nominating petitions must be received by 5:00 pm, March 8, 2021, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the PSC Office, Attn: Elections Committee, 61 Broadway – Ste. 1500, New York, NY 10006.
4. Ballots will be mailed to members’ home addresses on April 1, 2021.
5. Ballots in an uncontested AAUP Election must be received at the PSC Office by 5:00 pm on April 29, 2021.
6. Ballots for the PSC General Election and a contested AAUP Election must be received at American Arbitration Assoc. by 5:00 pm on April 29, 2021, via mail, phone or internet.
7. Ballots will be counted at 10:00 am on April 30, 2021.
ELIGIBILITY TO SERVE
To hold a position as a general officer (serving on the Executive Council), one must have been a member in good standing of the PSC for at least one (1) year prior to the close of nominations, March 8, 2021. Among the general officer positions, retiree members may only serve as Retiree Executive Council Officers.
ELIGIBILITY TO VOTE
To be eligible to vote in this election, one must have been a member in good standing for at least four (4) months prior to the mailing of the ballots, April 1, 2021.
1. A Declaration of Candidacy form must be received at email@example.com no later than January 11, 2021.
2. Nominations shall be by written petition signed by no less than fifty (50) members of the appropriate constituency in good standing. For the AAUP Delegate positions the written petition must be signed by no fewer than twenty-five (25) of the identified members in good standing of the PSC Chapter of the AAUP.
3. Slate nominations shall be permitted.
A slate of candidates will be recognized if it consists of candidates for twenty-five percent (25%) or more of the officers to be elected, and if it submits, prior to the close of nominations: (1) a listing of caucus officers, all of whom must be members in good standing, including the person designated to authorize nominees for that caucus’ slate; and (2) a nominating petition including the printed name, signature, department and college of each petitioner, and the signature for each candidate running on the slate. The candidate’s signature on the slate petition shall constitute that candidate’s acceptance of the slate designation.
Relevant sections are summarized but not quoted below:
1. All voting must be on an official ballot. Write-in votes are permitted. The intent of the voter must be clear, whether the name of the candidate is written, printed or typed. In order for a write-in vote to be considered valid, the candidate must meet the same eligibility requirements as a regular candidate. A write-in candidate must receive at least ten (10) or ten percent (10%) of the total votes cast in the election, whichever is less, to be elected. Write-in candidates who are elected must submit written acceptance of office to the Elections Committee within ten (10) days of the notification of election results.
2. Each candidate, or a representative designated in writing, is entitled to observe the counting of the ballots.
3. The March 2021 issue of Clarion will carry biographies and/or statements by the candidates for general officers. Each candidate for general officer will be allotted 200 words. Slates of candidates for general officer may pool their allotment of words in whatever fashion they choose. The deadline for typed copy is 5:00 pm, March 1, 2021. For information on existing Clarion photos and to send typed copy, contact the editor, Ari Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates for delegates to the NYSUT, AFT and AAUP conventions will be listed, but they will not receive further space.
Candidates for general officers may purchase not more than a one-half page of advertising space in the March 2021 issue of Clarion. Slates may purchase not more than one page of advertising space in the March 2021 issue of Clarion. The deadline for camera-ready mechanicals or an equivalent digital file is 5:00 pm, March 1, 2021. (Note: It would be helpful to Clarion if candidates can give newspaper staff advance notice of their intention to submit statements or advertisements by February 14, 2021, or as soon as possible thereafter.) Space limitations preclude an offer of space to candidates for delegates to the NYSUT, AFT and AAUP conventions.
All candidates may mail literature at their own expense through the PSC’s mailing house, Century Direct. To request a list, email the membership department at email@example.com. The Request for List and Labels Form will also be posted on the PSC website. The PSC will provide Century Direct with electronic downloads of members’ home addresses, after receiving payment of $60.00 from the candidate. PSC must have three (3) working days of advance notice to generate and provide these downloads. Contact Century Direct at (212) 763-0600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
AAUP candidates running for office can purchase the complete list of members of the PSC AAUP Chapter and their work email addresses for $5.00. The list will be emailed.
Any questions regarding election procedures or materials can be addressed to email@example.com. All mailed correspondence to the PSC Office regarding elections should be put to the attn. of PSC Elections Committee.