The Professional Staff Congress/CUNY, AFT Local 2334, AAUP, is a progressive, activist union representing 30,000 faculty and staff at the City University of New York. PSC is dedicated to advancing the professional lives of its members, enhancing their terms and conditions of employment, and maintaining the strength of the nation’s largest, oldest and most visible urban public university.
PSC is Seeking Candidates for Director of Organizing for Professional Staff Congress. Based in New York City, NY.
The PSC is seeking to hire an experienced individual dedicated to member involvement unionism to oversee and direct internal organizing campaigns and membership mobilization and to supervise organizing staff.
- Oversees implementation of all aspects of PSC’s organizing agenda and strategic action plan centrally and on individual campuses.
- Participates in strategic planning with union leadership, assisting in developing long-term goals, strategic vision and tracking implementation of organizing plans.
- Supervises organizing staff in carrying out union goals for power and organization-building, including developing member leaders; membership; contract, legislative, and social justice campaigns; contract enforcement; and coalition building.
- Conducts training for staff and activists, develops and implements plans for rallies, mass meetings, pressure and other campaigns.
- Supports elected leadership in each of CUNY’s 19 campuses, cross campus chapters, and Research Foundation units to recruit and build leadership and develop and strengthen chapters.
- Assesses targets and carries out new organizing campaigns.
- Oversees preparation and distribution of campaign materials and communications from the union, its chapters and committees; coordinates with communications staff; coordinates use of union website for organizing and base-building.
- Liaises with rank-and-file union committees and with other unions’ and organizations’ campaigns.
- Serves as the primary organizer for a small number of chapters.
- Works with contract enforcement, legal department and associate executive director to negotiate field unit contracts.
- Tracks organizing data and supports database administration.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated success at providing effective leadership and direction to union organizers and union campaigns;
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic plans for union campaigns;
- Demonstrated experience in building union power and winning contract campaigns.
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive trade unionism.
Other Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience in public higher education unions;
- Experience organizing professional employees and contingent workers.
- Experience negotiating and/or enforcing contracts.
- Demonstrated project management, database and social media skills.
- Experience working with coalitions;
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Extensive full-time labor organizing experience, with at least several years overseeing organizing programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters in appropriate field or equivalent experience preferred.
Salary: $105,000 – $130,000, depending on experience
Comprehensive benefit package
The PSC provides a collaborative, supportive environment working with others to drive progressive change in the context of the nation’s largest urban public university. This is a unionized position.
How to Apply:
First review is August 1, 2022 and job is open until filled.
For immediate consideration please send your résumé/curriculum vitae and cover letter addressing how your experience prepares you for this position and why you want to work at PSC by email to: Edgar deJesus, Associate, UnionSearch.org, [email protected]
PSC supports justice and equity for all oppressed and excluded peoples. We particularly encourage women and people of color to apply for this position.