CUNY faculty, staff and students:
After months of pressure from grassroots campaigns and occupations, Governor Cuomo has finally signaled his willingness to “restructure” the state tax code as part of a larger economic plan. Lawmakers are in Albany this week, meeting in conference and preparing for a possible special legislative session. Now is the time to press for an end to policies that put the interests of the rich and super-rich above the needs of CUNY students and millions of other ordinary New Yorkers.
Call your Assembly Member and your State Senator right now via the AFL-CIO action line.
“Any deal you make this week on “tax reform” must tax the wealthy, fill the $5 billion holes from the current Millionaires Tax and ensure enough revenue to restore vital services and create good jobs.”
Download a fact sheet about the Millionaires Tax(Spanish version) and a flyer with the call-in info (Spanish version). Ask your colleagues, friends and neighbors to make a call too.
Other Ways to Help
- Stop by your State Senator and Assembly Member’s offices today or tomorrow. Calls are great, but personal visits have a huge impact. Tell them how passionate you are about the importance of raising at least $5 billion in revenue from the wealthy to restore the worst budget cuts in any tax package that passes this week. Click here to download a flyer that you can leave with the office. Click here for a version in Spanish.
- Join the coalition’s phone banks tomorrow! Click here to RSVP for New York City phone banks at 1 pm and 5 pm.
- Share your story on 99 Percent NY’s website. Make it known directly how cuts have affected you or your loved ones. Click here to share your story.
- Attend a news conference. Over the next couple of days, there will be press conferences in most areas of New York where local elected officials will call on State government to enact a fair tax plan. We need you to go to the one nearest you. Click here for a list of these press conferences.
- Occupy social media! Our elected officials have been kind enough to set up Facebook and Twitter accounts to connect with us. So let’s connect with them. Search for your State Sentor and Assemblymember on Facebook and Twitter and let them know that we need a fair tax plan that raises $5 billion from the wealthy to restore the worst budget cuts.
For more information about the campaign, visit our coalition partners at www.99percentny.org