The Professional Staff Congress/CUNY, AFT Local 2334, AAUP, is a progressive, activist union representing 30,000 faculty and staff at the City University of New York. PSC is dedicated to advancing the professional lives of its members, enhancing their terms and conditions of employment, and maintaining the strength of the nation’s largest, oldest, and most visible urban public university.
PSC is seeking candidates for the Organizer position based in New York City.
Responsibilities: Under supervision, with latitude for independent decision-making, initiates and carries out organizing campaigns and member mobilizations. Duties include:
- Organize bargaining unit members to join and recommit to the union. Map worksites, conduct one-on-one conversations, develop outreach committees around local campus issues and contract campaigns.
- Develop representational structures at the chapter level and train members to do member-to-member organizing and relationship-building.
- Recruit members for union events, such as pickets, rallies, and chapter meetings.
- Develop rank-and-file leaders and campus-based organizing projects.
- Prepare and distribute meeting notices, flyers, and other literature.
- Produce organizing lists, maintain database records, and prepare organizing assessments.
- Demonstrated competency in the organizer responsibilities listed above, including one-on-one conversations with rank-and-file members, relationship-building and strong listening skills.
- Ability to set targets, do member outreach independently, identify and develop leaders
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive trade unionism
- Demonstrated writing, speaking and presentation skills
- Experience with database programs
Other Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience in public higher education unions.
- Experience organizing professional employees and contingent workers.
- Experience with collective bargaining and contract enforcement,
- Expertise with database program design and implementation.
Salary: $65,000-$84,000, depending on experience
Comprehensive benefit package
The PSC provides a collaborative, supportive environment working with others to drive progressive change in the context of the nation’s largest urban public university. This is a unionized position.
How to Apply:
First review is September 12, 2022 and job is open until filled.
For immediate consideration please send your résumé/curriculum vitae and cover letter addressing how your experience prepares you for this position and why you want to work at PSC by email to: Anais Surkin, Associate Executive Director, [email protected]
PSC supports justice and equity for all oppressed and excluded peoples. We particularly encourage women and people of color to apply for this position.