Upcoming CLT Meetings
- CLT Unity Day :: Saturday, May 30, 2020 :: 2 to 5 PM
This is an informal meeting with CLTs to gather and focus the conversation on CLT safety and the return to the workplace. What do we need? What are your rights? Who can I address my concerns to? Come with your list of specific needs and concerns for your work area.
Download agenda and download
- World Day of Bullying Prevention :: Monday, October 5, 2020
Check for other PSC happenings in the events calendar!
What is a CLT? What do they do?
CLT Speaks at Sept 27, 2018 Contract Rally
Amy Jeu, Hunter College; CLT Chapter Vice Chair & Grievance Counselor
Virtual CLT Meeting (May 18, 2020)
Agenda and handouts: download here
Presentation of CLT Survey & Impact of COVID-19 Results:
- Moderator: Jeanette Batiz, Senior CLT, Bronx Community College, Biological Sciences
- Presentation by Deborah Hertzberg, Chief CLT, Brooklyn College, Theater
- Presentation by Michael Cannetti, Senior CLT, NYC College of Technology, Communication Design
- Presentation by Orit Gruber, Chief CLT, College of Staten Island, Computer Science
- Presentation by Alicia Trust, Chief CLT, Kingsborough Community College, Biological Sciences
- Presentation by Sharif Elhakem, Chief CLT, Lehman College, Chemistry
Recordings of presentations are forthcoming.
CLT Meeting (February 18, 2020)
"A New Way Forward for the CLT Chapter" presentation by Amy Jeu, Acting Chair, CLT Chapter
Panel discussion organized by Amy Jeu, CLT, with the following speakers:
- William Herbert, Executive Director, National Center for the Study of Collective Bargaining in Higher Education and the Professions,
will cover workplace bullying from the legal and labor angles
- Michael Fabricant, Professor, Hunter College Silberman School of Social Work; Chair, PSC Legislative Committee and PSC University-wide Officer,
will talk about how bullying is used as an austerity tool within higher education
- Graciano Matos, Laboratory Hygiene Officer, Office of Environmental Health and Occupational Safety, City College,
will speak about bullying from the gender and socio-economic angles
- Victoria O'Shea, ASAP Student Advisor, Queensborough Community College,
will speak about the effects of bullying and mental health
- Clara Wajngurt, Professor at Queensborough Community College; CEO at Bullying Prevention Consulting,
will present a survey of how other universities address workplace bullying in the US and internationally
- Iris Delutro, PSC VP Cross Campus Units; CUNY-Wide Program Manager, LEAP to Teacher Program, CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies, The Murphy Institute,
will give an update on the PSC contract demand on bullying with CUNY, and the status of the NYS Healthy Workplace Bill
"Confronting workplace abuse at CUNY" by Shomial Ahmad summarized the event.
CLT Unity Day 2019
We DEMAND competitive salaries for CUNY College Laboratory Technicians! We are being bullied and need your support as we fight against low salaries, excessive workload, and lack of promotional opportunities.
Show your support for CLTs and sign our petition TODAY!
"CUNY’s science and technology are in our hands!”
Survey of CLT Chapter Presentation by Amy Jeu (May 2017)
PSC Online Archives for CLT Chapter
Let your voices be heard!
The PSC will be sharing photos and quotes from members about why they're supporting the campaign for a fair contract. Here's an example:
Will you stand up and speak out? Share with us your reason for supporting our union's contract demands, which include an increase in the salary schedule for all CLT titles in addition to any across-the-board increases. We'll share a your photo and a quote from your statement on social media along with your name and school. We may also report it in testimony or cite it during contract negotiations.
Submit quotes and photos at www.psc-cuny.org/HEOs_CLTsSpeakUp
CLTs Celebrate National Bullying Prevention Month (Oct 2018)
Workplace Bullying Resources (not exhaustive list)
- What is Workplace Bullying? - Clarion June 2012
Dignity at Work Policy - The PSC/CUNY CLT Chapter is committed to protecting dignity and respect across the University. This policy aims to promote respect, dignity, safety, and equality in the workplace. Every member of CUNY should be aware that all forms of discrimination, bullying, harassment, victimization, and violence are unacceptable and every member of CUNY has a duty to behave in an acceptable and respectful manner. All members are expected to treat each other with dignity, courtesy and respect at all times. We are fully committed to sustaining a positive and mutually supportive working environment free from harassment, discrimination, bullying, violence, and victimization where members can work together collaboratively and productively together, and where all members are equally valued and respected.
Alan Pearlman Memorial
Alan Pearlman, a leader of the union’s College Laboratory Technicians (CLTs) chapter who served on the union’s executive council for six years, died unexpectedly in Spring 2017, leaving behind a legacy of fierce loyalty to the union and his fellow members. Read more here: Clarion Article - "Mourning Pearlman, CLT activist"
CLT-HEO Professional Development Fund
In accordance with the PSC/CUNY collective bargaining agreement, approximately $500,000 per annum is available University-wide to support professional development activities for eligible employees in titles in the College Laboratory Technician series. Learn more at http://psc-cuny.org/benefits/heo-clt-professional-development-fund.
Know Your Rights. Download the CLT Handbook
The current handbook (4th edition) has multiple purposes:
- To serve as a compendium of College Laboratory Technicians’ rights and responsibilities
- To familiarize newly appointed CLTs with the procedures for appointment, reappointment, promotion and other contractual protections.
- To invite CLTs to contact the chapter officers for advice and help.
This handbook is not an official document, but a simplified guide to your contractual rights under the PSC-CUNY agreement as seen by the PSC.
The official documents to consult are the Bylaws of the Board of Trustees of CUNY, the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the PSC and CUNY (the contract), the written policies of the Board of Trustees and your college governance document. There are also arbitration awards and grievance decisions in which contractual rights and responsibilities have been delineated.