PSC/CUNY – MEDGAR EVERS COLLEGE CHAPTER
MEETING HELD WEDNESDAY, MARCH 28, 2018, 11.30AM IN ROOM AB1-312
The meeting was called to order by Dr. Clinton Crawford, Chair, PSC/ MEC who welcomed all in attendance.
The minutes of February 28, 2018 were approved as read.
The discussions were as per the agenda:
Membership:Fulltime faculty and HEOs were applauded for their commitment and it was noted that the number of adjuncts who have not yet signed the blue commitment forms are now down to 80, which group we need to have signed before the final exams begin. Union buttons and stickers were distributed.
Janus versus AFSCME is projected to move forward and to prevail against us. Our commitment strategy will protect us.
Labor-Management Meeting Agenda:
- Electronic Keys should be replaced with the use of barcodes on ID cards.
- Bathrooms remain the same instead of being close to being a powder room. Hooks for coats, shelves for books and/or other objects, and code change for faculty bathrooms are needed.
- Parking Lot: 1) who are viewing the cameras and security monitors? 2) LCD screens are inoperative; 3) there are cameras in the hallways of all buildings but when incidents occur, it is not possible to obtain a report. 4) Cameras should not be invasive in office spaces.
- Adjunct Office in B Building needs cleaning, and working computers with connection to printers. The Chair, Dr. Crawford, took the responsibility to make the requisition to the office of Buildings and Grounds for cleaning now and continued cleaning going forward.
- Internet access needed for the East New York satellite
- New Faculty Orientation Handbook not yet forthcoming
New Union Contract: Among other things, the new contract is seeking 7K for adjuncts and full-timers are being asked to support adjuncts in this quest because adjuncts do carry 60% of the workload, they do need a fair wage. Volunteers were requested to participate in the Albany Lobby Day scheduled for Tuesday, April 24, 2018.
- Long-term Agenda for 2018 PSC/MEC Chapter: Following up on suggestions made in the previous month’s meeting, the various groups were formed and circulated as follows:
- The volunteers for Group 1 with focus on social and political opportunities to facilitate the tenure process and impact campus culture – Miles McAfee, Ben Franz, Verna Green;
- Group 2 with focus on membership – Ernts Gracia, Keshia Graham, Maria Delongoria, Elaine Reid, Doreen Williams;
- Group 3 with focus on Policy Reading – Iola Thompson, Cherise Mayers, Tanya Serdiuk, Roger Palomino, Janice Alves, Claire Evelyn, Tonia Grant;
- Group 4 with focus on enabling this body (PSC) to remain engaged and make academic progress – Moses Phillips, Nelson Carrillo, Aminul Islam, Jose Negroni;
- Group 5 with focus on Social Entertainment – Alicia Collins, Sandra Lewis, John Chancellor Williams, Donna Hill, and Doreen Williams.
- Each group has been informed of the membership list and are expected to organize themselves and report to the PSC –MEC body.
Submitted by: Verna Green, Secretary