The PSC’s 18-month Strategic Action Plan to change the course of CUNY and win a great contract shifts gears Monday, 10/25 with a mass online and in-person rally. We will be calling on the Board of Trustees to approve the University Budget Request and the Governor and Mayor to put us on the path toward a New Deal for CUNY. Tell us you’ll be there, in person or online, and invite a colleague to join you.
With a new governor in office, a new mayor in the wings, and rising support for the investments the PSC and the CUNY Rising Alliance have urged, the CUNY administration has finally requested a budget worthy of CUNY’s mission, without hiking tuition. An additional $416 million (NYS: $313M, NYC: $103M) is in the ambitious request, with funding for New Deal for CUNY priorities, including 1,075 new full-time faculty lines, opportunities for full-time conversion appointments for adjuncts, and additional full-time mental health counselors. More budget details.
During the virtual rally, we’ll watch together, take action on social media and plan future actions that will make the budget request a reality. At the in-person action we will deliver a message to the public, the press, the presumptive Mayor, Eric Adams, and Governor Kathy Hochul: CUNY Needs a New Deal!
RSVP FOR THE 10/25 RALLY
Freedom from Bullies Week, October 18-22
The PSC Anti-Bullying Committee is organizing a series of events to confront workplace bullying at CUNY, and this week is Freedom from Bullies Week, a five-day series of events. Register here for these online events:
- MONDAY, OCTOBER 18, 6:30 pm | Graciano Matos Remembrance Event: Matos, a PSC delegate and a staunch advocate against bullying at CUNY, was committed to changing policy and contract language related to workplace bullying.
PSC Member Briefing: 2021 Ballot Proposals, Redistricting and NYC General Elections
PSC members are invited to join the union’s Legislative Committee and representatives of the New York City Central Labor Council (NYCCLC) for a briefing and Q&A session about the upcoming NYC General Elections, redistricting, and the statewide ballot initiatives that will be on the ballot. This online informational event will be Tuesday, October 26 at 7:00 PM. Redistricting could shift the balance of power in our state and put key progressive legislators at risk for a primary. The five ballot initiatives would have profound impacts on all New Yorkers. Register here.
Early voting will be Saturday, October 23 – Sunday, October 31 and Election Day is Tuesday, November 2. Our endorsed candidates are listed here on the PSC website. The ballot initiatives would:
- Amend New York State’s apportionment and redistricting process.
- Establish the right of each person to clean air and water and a healthful environment.
- Eliminate New York’s requirement that a citizen be registered to vote at least ten days before an election.
- Authorize no-excuse absentee voting.
- Allow the New York City Civil Court to hear and decide claims for up to $50,000 instead of the current limit of $25,000.
RSVP FOR THE 10/26 BRIEFING