The Professional Staff Congress, AFT Local 2334, is a progressive, activist union representing 30,000 faculty and staff at The City University of New York. The PSC is seeking to hire an experienced individual who will increase the union's effectiveness in enforcing contracts and expanding the reach of academic labor unionism through working with the adjuncts the PSC represents. This is a professional, unionized position.
Responsibilities: With some latitude for independent decision-making under the direction of the Director of Contract Administration, is responsible for responding to and representation of adjunct bargaining unit members in the grievance process, as well as investigatory matters and other issues outside the grievance process:
- Investigates, prepares and presents grievances at step one and step two; negotiates settlement agreements with management representatives at CUNY;
- Works with chapter leadership and organizing staff on issues affecting adjunct members;
- Maintains an effective system of follow up on member inquiries, workplace issues and grievances;
- Participates in educating adjunct members about contractual rights and the grievance process;
- Assists with the implementation of adjunct grievance counselor training,
- Prepares reports on contract enforcement issues affecting adjunct members;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive trade unionism;
- 3 years’ experience or more as a union grievance representative for adjunct faculty a plus; experience in negotiating grievance settlement agreements is a plus;
- Demonstrated experience working with union staff and activists;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience working with databases;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to pay attention to details;
- Experience communicating and working with a diverse constituency;
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Baccalaureate; more advanced degree in a related field is a plus;
- At least 3 years’ experience in a higher education labor union;
- Knowledge of standard office computer software;
- 3 employment references.
Compensation: Competitive salary, based on experience; excellent benefit package
The Professional Staff Congress is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline: January 31, 2022 or until position is filled
Send cover letter and resume to:
Michele Barreto, firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Staff Congress
61 Broadway, 15th floor
NY, NY 10006
Telephone: 212-354-1252 FAX: 212-302-7815