ANNOUNCEMENT OF VACANCY
The Professional Staff Congress, AFT Local 2334, is a progressive, activist union representing 30,000 faculty and professional staff at The City University of New York. The PSC is seeking to hire an experienced individual to fill a full-time organizing position. It is a professional, unionized position and reports to the Organizing Director.
Responsibilities: Under supervision, with latitude for independent decision-making, initiates and carries out organizing campaigns and member mobilizations. Duties include:
- Work in support of union leadership to organize bargaining unit members to join and recommit to the union – mapping worksites, conducting one-on-one conversations, developing outreach committees – around local campus issues and contract campaigns;
- Develop representational structures at the chapter level and train members to do member-to-member organizing and relationship-building;
- Recruit members for union events, such as pickets, rallies and chapter meetings;
- Develop rank-and-file leaders and campus-based organizing projects;
- Design, prepare and distribute meeting notices, flyers and other literature;
- Develop organizing lists, maintain database records, and prepare organizing assessments.
- Union organizing experience, particularly in higher education;
- Ability to set targets, do member outreach independently, identify and develop leaders;
- Demonstrated competency in the organizer responsibilities listed above, including one-on-one conversations with rank and file members, relationship-building and strong listening skills;
- Knowledge of and experience working with collective bargaining agreements;
- Demonstrated writing, speaking and presentation skills;
- Knowledge of office computer software, including database management programs;
- Interest in being part of a progressive union staff team.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- 4-year college degree;
- 2-7 years of experience organizing professional, white collar or service employees;
- At least 3 employment references.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply
Salary based on annual rate of $64,000-71,000, depending on experience; Good benefit package
Deadline for Applications: August 9, 2019 or until position is filled
Send cover letter and résumé to:
Professional Staff Congress
61 Broadway, 15th fl.
NY, NY 10006
Telephone: 212-354-1252 FAX: 212-302-7815 e-mail: email@example.com
The Professional Staff Congress is an Equal Opportunity Employer