Professional Staff Congress | 61 Broadway, 15th Floor, NYC 10006 | 212-354-1252 |212-PSC-CUNY | firstname.lastname@example.org | AFT Local #2334
Academic Freedom Committee
The Academic Freedom Committee is a long-standing committee of the Executive Council.
The committee’s mission is three-fold:
- Educate members about the state of academic freedom – past and present -- nationally and at CUNY.
- Demonstrate the importance of academic freedom in a contemporary university characterized by growing centralization, corporatization, assaults on faculty governance and reliance on contingent labor.
- Promote discussion of key issues about academic freedom through PSC print and digital media and face-to-face meetings and forums.
2. Proactively identify issues that threaten academic freedom and, as appropriate, provide advice and/or research to PSC Executive Council on how to respond to such threats.
3. Recommend to the PSC Executive Council actions to be taken to further our affiliates' campaigns on issues of academic freedom. Help promote national initiatives and campaigns (e.g. the work of the AFT and AAUP in response to the so called “academic bill of rights; the work of the AAUP to build institutional protections for the academic freedom of adjuncts and graduate employees).